This Furniture Makeover Saved Me Tons of Money
Think you can’t execute a successful furniture makeover? Think again. Before I get into the “how” let me start with the “why.”
Could you imagine waking up every morning to this? Imagine you are the type of person who needs a ridiculous amount of motivation to make it through the day (or wake up for that matter.) Let me just say how extremely demotivating it is when you roll-over to peak at the clock and see the calamity of the day that awaits. You should be excited about the promise of a new day, but you see this- a reminder of how busy and yet how unproductive your life has become.
I’m embarrassed to say that this is what was happening in our bedroom. Yes, we are debt free and have enough income to not live like slobs, but some times life gets busy and this is what happens. One December morning, I woke up and knew I had to do something about this ugly situation. Honestly, I think it was the good Lord urging me to do something that would have an effect on my morale as a homeschooler and mompreneur.
Instead of lamenting on how expensive really good bedroom furniture is I decided to give what I had a makeover. As I mentioned, we received this home from a relative and much of the original furniture from the 1930s was still here. I’ve had many fantasies about throwing it away, but my wonderful hubby planted the idea in my head about refinishing it. Once I hooked up with Pinterest, the rest was history! I had no idea that you could give old furniture a beautiful makeover with so little effort. The latest fad in paint gives you options without stripping, sanding or much prep (in most cases.) This is actually my 2nd project (here is my first) and I have at least 2-3 more to go. Somedays, I can’t believe that I was going to throw this furniture away. The thing is…it’s GOOD quality furniture. Honestly, I really dislike the cheapy particle board furniture that costs an arm and a leg and will end up breaking in a few months any way. For me, this project is a win-win. I get nice quality furniture that will be around for years to come AND it hardly costs me anything. In fact, it came out so well, that I searched on Craigslist and found matching bedside tables ($125 for two) and added them for a complete bedroom set. Next up, I’ll be adding some nice lamps and few more art pieces to complete the room makeover.
Here are the before and after pictures:
Basically what I did was use Martha Stewart’s new collection of Vintage Decor Paint. The colors for this project were Sailor Blue and Brook. I purchased 3 of each (about $10/bottle) because I also had to paint some accents and the two side tables. online interior design services are a great option if you’re looking to redesign your home or start fresh in a new place
Additionally, I used one of her Classic Accent Stencils to add some embellishments to the dressers. The taller dresser had a drawer missing. I opted for these canvas folio bins to replace the drawers. To top it off, I got these clear knobs for the shorter dresser that was missing some hardware. For the art, I just took some old particle board paintings from TJMaxx, painted them and used a water based sharpie to paint in the writing I traced to the surface.
Here’s about what the project cost:
- Dressers- $0
- Martha Stewart Vintage Decor Paint-$60
- Sharpie– $5
- 2 Canvas Bins– $24 (on sale)
- Stencil– $20 (had a coupon)
- Clear knobs– $8
- Furniture Wax– $10
- Painter’s Tape– $8
- Extra bedside tables- $125
In terms of the process, I actually just started everything painting my base color- Brook. Once that was done, I removed the drawers + hardware and painted over the drawers in my second color, Sailor Blue. I used painters’ tape to keep some of the lighter blue lines in place. Then, I stenciled with the light blue color and finished everything off with a coat of clear furniture wax. There are fancy waxing brushes you can use, but I used some micro-fiber cloths I already had. I chose not to “antique it” with the darker wax, so I don’t think applicator was as important in this case. But if you decide to distress and/or antique a better brush is recommended. After all this, I put the hardware back on. The project took about 25-30 hours.
I’m really happy with the way it came out and feel so much better when I wake up. It’s a lovely view that motivates me to get up and at ’em when the day begins!